23.2.11

Seed Exchange, the best way to increase diversity in your garden at low cost

One of the best things I did this year for my garden was to join different seed swap forums. I started with these seeds(which I bought):
Tomatoes, carrots, cumin, dill, arugula, lettuce mix, and a couple more.
And now since I started exchanging  seeds with other gardeners of all parts of the country I have expand the variety of vegetables in my garden. I received seeds from vegetables I've never seen before  and I am very excited to see them growing and enjoy them in a meal.
My list had expanded but is not limited to these vegetables:
onions (green, red), four kinds of tomatoes (beef  steak, roma, black prince...), seven different kinds of squash (butternut, buttercup, Indian, yellow, spaghetti, striped and more, broccoli, watermelon, melons, cabbage, lettuce (romaine, iceberg), spinach, gourds, some herbs (rosemary, parsley, sage), and I also received many different kinds of flowers.
 I got mostly heirloom and organic seeds, some conventional seeds too  and everything  for no money I paid only the postage  for the seeds I sent. It's a gain-gain exchange.
~gourd seeds~

Obviously I do not have tons of seeds of each kind, only a few just enough to plant in my garden and  share with some friends, but If I am a prudent gardener  I will manage to grow everything I have and save many seeds of each vegetable and herb to trade next year .
From the garden experts...
I have to say a big THANK YOU to all the gardener friends for trading seeds with me. Everyone has been so helpful, advising me in how to grow the seeds they sent, and how take care of the plants and take care of my garden, how to harvest and store the produce, I am very happy with the results of the seed swap.
How to exchange seeds...
It is very easy to trade seeds, but you need patience and be responsible to do your part of the deal. I met most of my seed swap partners in this forum, and it is the one I will be visiting in the next planting season to share my seeds and get new sorts. How does it work? well sign up for the forum, read the conversations, pick a partner- if you see good response to this person from other trades , you have a liable seed trader-, and leave a message with the list of seeds you have to share and the ones  you are interested to. It may take long time until they contact you, but the wait in worth the seeds you will get. 
I will continue adding images as I take pics of the goodies I get :)
~one of the many notes that came with the seeds packages~

Lo mejor que hice por mi huerta este año - aparte de compost- fue unirme a un foro para intercambiar semillas. Comencé mi jardín solamente con semillas de estos vegetales:
tomates, zanahorias, comino, eneldo, rúcula, lechuga, y un par mas.
Y ahora debido a mi intercambio con otras personas del foro, tengo todas las siguientes variedades mas las que tenía, y las que todavía estoy por recibir en el correo:
cebollas (roja y verde), cuatro tipos de tomates, siete variedades de zapallos, brócoli, sandía, melones, repollo (morado y verde), lechugas (capuchina, romana, y mas), espinaca, calabazas (las que se llaman porongos -con las que pretendo hacerme materas:), algunas hierbas (romero, perejil, salvia) y también recibí algunas semillas de flores. La mayoría de las semillas son orgánicas o guardadas por la persona después de muchas generaciones, obviamente son mucho mejores que las semillas compradas en un negocio, y no tuve que pagar por ellas, solamente compre las estampillas con las que envié mis semillas


Ahora que tengo una cuantas semillas de cada vegetal y hierba, solo me basta con plantarlas, cuidarlas, cosecharlas y guardas más semillas para el año entrante intercambiar  por diversas semillas . :)
Todas las personas con las que intercambié semillas en Estados Unidos resultaron ser muy solidarias, amigables, y generosas, recibí paquetes de diferentes estados, desde granjeros hasta amas de casa me han enviado sus semillas, y también se han tomado el tiempo de explicarme como plantarlas, cuidarlas, cosechar los frutos y conservarlos.
  Mu chas veces he tenido la oportunidad de hablar con personas que vivieron en el exterior y me comentaron y advirtieron que los americanos se caracterizan por ser personas frías y poco amigables, haha , estoy muy feliz de decir que por mi experiencia  es todo lo contrario. 
Como hice para intercambiar semillas...
Primero encontré esta página, abrí un cuenta, y observé las conversaciones, elegí un socio (chequeé que haya intercambiado satisfactoriamente semillas anteriormente con otras personas) y deje un mensaje con las semillas que tengo y las que me gustaría conseguir), y esperar con paciencia una respuesta.



No comments: