Red Velvet Cupcakes
I was thinking in doing something cute, homemade and red for Valentine’s and…
What is better than a Red Velvet Cake? Red Velvet Cupcake
So I made Red Velvet cupcakes for already five times and I love them and my husband loves them too.
RED VELVET CUPCAKES
For 24 cute red velvet cupcakes,
2 ½ cups all purpose flour (unbleached or bleached is the same)
1 ½ cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
5 tsp cocoa powder
3/4 cup of vegetable oil (not butter)
1 1/4 cup of buttermilk (I used fat free)
2 tsp red coloring food (I recommend Wilton, Red no taste icing color, it works very good)
1 tsp white vinegar
2 tsp vanilla
Preheat the oven a 350f
1. Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, sugar & cocoa powder
2. In a large bowl beat the eggs, add the oil, vanilla, buttermilk, and food coloring, mix well with a handheld mixer.
3. Add the sifted ingredients to the mix and beat well for about 3 or 4 min in medium speed.
4. Pour into the cupcake liners up to ¾
5. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, check with a toothpick…pinch in the middle on a cupcake, if it comes clean they are ready.
While they are cooling you can make the FROSTING, with this recipe
1/2 cup of butter (1 stick), room temperature
8 oz of Philly cream cheese (1 package), room temperature
2 - 3 cups of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 With an electric mixer, mix the butter and cream cheese together, about 3 minutes on medium speed until very smooth. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure even mixing.
2 Add the vanilla extract and mix. Slowly add the powdered sugar. Keep adding until you get to desired sweetness and thickness.
3 Either spread on with a blunt knife or spatula, or spoon into a piping bag to decorate your cake or cupcake.
As a healthier alternative I just sprinkle powder sugar on top. I cut out a cardboard in the shape of a heart and sprinkle around. For more ideas in how to decorate them click here.