8.2.11

Biscotti ~Hazelnut,Chocolate~

Last year I spent February in Canada.
 White snowed streets, white snow covered trees with frozen branches, big ice blocks on the sidewalks, mittens, hoodies, scarves, boots and a huge long jacket that make me look like a walking sleeping bag. :)

So cold! This month used to be the coldest as I remember. It was lovely the time spent  with friends by the warmth of the fireplace, feeling as a refugee from the freezing temperatures outdoors. I miss those good times and all my friends there.

I also remember always having a cup of tea in my hands.
~After all that shoveling snow, a cup of hot tea was well desired.
~After lunch every day, a cup of hot tea prepared me to get back to work.
~After a late cold night of choir rehearsal, a cup of tea made me feel comfy and ready to go to sleep.
~Every time I felt the chill of the Canadian winter running through my back I reached for a cup of tea, and... also a biscotti to dip in it.

 I love biscottis and I knew I had to bake them sometime.
My cousin  gifted me a dessert book that had an easy recipe for biscottis, I switch some ingredients  since I did not have in my kitchen pistachios and casper or some unknown-to-me nectar, and use the ingredients I did have, the only ingredient remaining the same with the actual recipe were flour and eggs. But they turned out delicious, my hubby said they taste like nutella!
It takes no more than 15 min putting the ingredients together.

 *I used my mom’s trick  making oatmeal flour, just take oatmeal and put it through the processor until it turns into flour. A good way to add fiber to you baking.My husband doesn't like oatmeal but he won't notice.  

                                   ~They ended up tasting like Nutella, so delicious.
              So I named them Nutella Biscottis, even though they don’t have nutella in it.~

~It also happened that I have a cute little mandarin from my garden which I used to add flavor, and hazelnuts but you can use any nuts you have.~



Biscotti, Nutella Flavor

11/2 cup of whole wheat flour

½ cup of oatmeal flour *

1 teaspoon of baking powder

¼ cup of oil (extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil)

1 cup of natural cane powder sugar (you can use the sugar you have)

4 eggs

1 teaspoon of natural vanilla extract

1 teaspoon of grated orange peels

½ cup of hazelnut (you can use any nut you have or like)
Optional ½ cup of dark chocolate chips

 Directions

Preheat oven 350f
Prepare two baking trays with baking paper and lightly dust with flour.

1. Sift flours, baking powder into a large bowl. Add the sugar and mix well. Make a well in the centre and add two eggs and one yolk, vanilla extract and orange peel and oil.
2. Using a wooden spoon stir until combined and add the hazelnut and chocolate chip. Knead the dough for 2 minutes.
3. Divide the dough in two logs and place them into the trays, let space for them to spread.
4 Beat the remaining egg and add a little bit of sure and glaze the logs.
5 place them in the oven for 35 minutes, reduce the oven to 300f
6 Take the logs out let them cool a little bit and cut them into ½ inch slices, place them flat down on the trays and bake them for 15 more minutes until crisp, dry and slightly colored.
Let them cool and serve, or you can store them in an airtight container for later.

~I made 20 big biscotti with this recipe~

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

good description of the cold canada lol i feel like that right now. ITS SOOOO cold we have two days of cold weather alert! its freezing in the house tooo my fingers so cold they feel like they gana fall off

Andrea said...

I remember well how cold it is, wear the sleeping bag jacket :)
Thanks!

Anna said...

these look delicious!

Andrea said...

Thanks! :)

Jaky said...

queeee ricooo delillus